Wednesday, November 17, 2010

LET'S SUE SOMEONE!

  Once you retire and get a good dose of daytime TV, you discover there are some troubling constants. First, there's little on except "court" shows. Then there are the commercials, the majority pleas from slimy personal injury attorneys to sue someone. Everyone. Or collect Social Security you are not due. Or other dubious deeds that have caused these crooks to be held in such low regard. And I just read we have more than all the other countries in the world combined!
 Now, let's get this straight. I have nothing against the legal profession. Some of my good friends are attorneys. People I admire that perform a necessary service. It's the weasels I have trouble with. The ones who make a living by suing every doctor, drug company, automaker--you name it--on ludicrous claims. Spilled hot coffee at McDonalds stuff. 
 I've being going to doctors for a long time and I can't recall ever contemplating a law suit for damages. Nor, can I think of anyone who has. This malpractice stuff is rare. But the manufactured fake claims support an industry.
 It's no wonder drugs, medical care, and auto insurance cost so much. And Social Security is in jeopardy. Throw all these bums out!
 Yep, I had it all figured out. Then, I read in the paper this morning that a federal study found that 1 in 7 Medicare patients are harmed in the hospital. That means either hurt or die from sloppy hospital habits. That almost 100, 000 die each year from preventable medical mistakes. That it cost us $4 billion in extended hospital stays. So much for malpractice.
 Then, I remembered giving a polygraph test to a man we'll call Carl Candor. When strapped to a "lie detector" some develop a phenomenon called by cops "puking their guts up." They tell you the truth about everything. Even things not related to the issue in question. Things you don't care about. Carl was such a subject.
 During the preliminaries, to calm him down, I made light conversation, asking him what work he did. He said he was an insurance adjustor. I asked exactly what that entailed.
 He said, aware he was attached to a polygraph, "Well, first I try to screw the other company's client. And if that doesn't work, I try to screw our own."
 So maybe we should thin the personal injury field down a bit. But not eliminate them, entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment