Wednesday, May 13, 2009

WHO WAS THAT IN THAT BOAT?

One of the unique things Naples Cops experience is running into celebrities. Naples has always had it's share, either visitors or residents, and the interaction is inevitable. But usually not expected.

Riding with our boat man, Joe LaRochelle, one day I spotted a yacht, that looked to be a 100 footer, tied up off the Naples Yacht Club. It was a beautiful sleek vessel and I asked Joe if he knew who it belong to. He smiled, said he did, and headed that way. Pulling along side we were greeted by a lady I recognized from the movies and TV. She was a singer named Francis Langford. Was on the Bob Hope Show and others. She greeted Joe like he was an old friend and asked if he was ready for his "toddy." Joe laughed like that was a grand joke--though I suspected it wasn't--and introduced me. Then a gentleman stepped to the rail, and after being introduced, I could see why the craft was so splendid. His name was Mr. Evinrude. Yep, the one who owned Evinrude outboard motors.

Another day I was working on a series of thefts in the old boat yard that was replaced by Tin City. I interviewed the honcho, then talked with folks in the yard, working on their boats. In one slip was a large and beautiful sailing yacht. On board was what looked like a scruffy deckhand, attending to the bright work. (To you land lubbers that's polishing the brass) I boarded the craft and, after asking my police questions, mentioned how attractive the boat was, and asked what brand it was. A Chris Craft, the deckhand said.

Surprised, I said, "I didn't know Chris Craft made anything but power boats, cabin cruisers, like that."

"Oh, no," the deckhand said, "if you're willing to pay, they'll make anything you want."

Finishing my work around the yard I walked back to the honcho. "Saw you talking to the deckhand over on the Chris Craft," he said.

"Yep," I answered, "didn't know they made sailing ships."

The boss laughed. "Well, if you own Chris Craft like that deckhand does, they'll make just about anything you want."

Another time we had two itinerant thieves steal a yacht out of Port Royal, sail it to New Orleans, and wreck it. When I was doing the initial report I asked for the name of the vessel.

"Easy to spot," said the owner. "On the transom there's a big Daisy flower painted with the letter "B" on each side. I though a second, then, "Like Daisy BB guns?"

"Yep," he smiled, 'I own Daisy." And so he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment