Thursday, August 20, 2009

KIM BOKAMPER

Mentioned before that we were always looking for ways to make money for our youth program, PAL. The Naples Daily News helped us with this one, a charity basketball game between the local sports scribes and broadcasters and the Miami Dolphins--off-season basketball team. I was appointed referee. This wasn't a problem as it was much like a Harlem Globetrotter's game, mostly fun and not much attention paid to the rules.

The game went well and the crowd was having a grand time. The Dolphin's players--about a dozen showed up--put on a great show, particularly since they were playing for nothing. And, being prime athletes, it was not surprising their basketball skills were superior. I was to find out, first hand, just how superior.

Just before the second half started, Kim Bokamper came up to me with a plan. Kim, is of course, the legendary Dolphin linebacker, who was part of their deadly Killer B's defense. He was a Pro Bowler, and at 6'6" and a muscled 250 you could see why. In the late 70's and early 80's he was at the top of his game.

He said, "Next time you see me bringing the ball down the court, run to the center jump circle, hunch over, and brace your hands on your thighs, with your back to me."

I looked at him with some trepidation.

"Don't worry," he said, "I'm just gonna jump, vault, over your head."

This was little comfort. I could just imagine him plowing over me like he did running backs. But, for the sake of charity, I didn't argue. And soon he had the ball, was charging down the court, and I assumed the position.

Gritting my teeth, I could hear the thundering of what sounded like a tornado behind me. Then, I felt one hand on my shoulder, saw his huge body pass over my body, and watched, dumbfounded, as Mr. Bokamper, raced to the basket and slam-dunked the ball.

Slam-dunked it! Not many basketball players could do it at the time.

Standing there looking stupid, one of the Dolphin's running backs joined me. "Kinda terrifying, ain't it." he said. "Quick as a tiger, strong as a bull, and in scrimmage, you look over there and see him and pray you don't get the ball. Cause you know he can outrun you, too. Yep, kinda scary."

Yep, it was.

Kim Bokamper later retired and is now a restaurant owner and broadcaster for the Miami Dolphins. And, a first class citizen.

No comments:

Post a Comment