Friday, December 31, 2010

GRANDMA

   We all called June Folsum "Grandma." I was responsible for that moniker. June loved it.
 Had the pleasure of working with her at two agencies. First, the NPD where she was June Holtzhausen, married to Don who owned a music store. June was a dispatcher, secretary, matron, and, in reality, the real honcho of the outfit.
 She was smart, remembered everything, and had a punch like Marciano. Once, I said something that displeased her and she gave me a sample. I listened to tweety birds for several hours.
 June was a daughter in the House family, old-timers in Collier County. Dan House Prairie, in the Big Cypress is named after her father. Her family once ran the old Gulf Hotel on 5th Ave South.
  When I was a young Detective, June was the secret of my success. If something happened she'd say, "Ol' so-and-so is probably good for that one." When I asked where Ol' so-and-so could be found she'd give me a look like I'd never heard of The Three Little Pigs, then the address, and say,"Everyone knows where he lives. He's lived there for 30 years.
 And poor, ignorant me would explain that I'd only lived here two.
June went on, like so many, to the CCSO where she became the Records Supervisor. Again, June claimed all the ground she stood on and was a superior Deputy.
  Grandma left us all too soon. To the regret of many.
  Photo courtesy of Chester Keene

No comments:

Post a Comment