Friday, December 10, 2010

WHEN YOU KNOW YOU'RE IN TROUBLE

  When selected to attended Dick Arther's polygraph (lie detector) school in New York I felt fortunate. Mr Arther was the best in the business. How good? The government had him on an airplane to Dallas to polygraph a fella named Lee Harvey Oswald when Jack Ruby cancelled out the appointment. At the time, he trained most of the CIA and FBI examiners. So you did exactly what Dick taught you to do if you wanted to be successful in the truth verification business.
 I found out right away what was important. About one week of the school was devoted to how to use the instrument (polygraph) and five weeks to interrogation techniques. The polygraph was just a doorway to the truth. The truth was obtained with interrogation.
 We learned how to meticulously set the stage to induce confessions. To put so much pressure on a suspect that they fell apart like a Chinese automobile. And most of the time it worked. But, there were times when all your devious work failed, and some cool customer was rubbing it in.
 Such a slick dude we'll Cue Kumber. Ol' Cue was a suspect in an aggravated assault--a little rowdiness at a local Knife and Gun Club. Everything was going just to plan. I had Cue trapped in the small interrogation room, his chair wedged in a corner, physically, where he couldn't get out except thru me. He was beginning to sweat. The questions were coming fast and pointed.
 One such was, "Have you ever been in the joint, Cue?"
 "Yep," he said, "but I was innocent."
 "What was it alleged that you did?"
 "They said attempted murder. . .that I stabbed a guy."
 "How'd they get that idea?"
 "Well," Cue began, "I was standin' on the corner, mindin' my own business, cleanin' my fingernails with my pocket knife, when this clown comes runnin' 'round the corner and runs right into my knife."
 "Uh-huh," I said.
 "Ran into it fifteen times," Cue said, giving me a sly smile. "Fifteen times, right in the back."
 Cue then gave a bigger smile and said, "Say, you don't have any coffee do ya? I'm as dry as a camel's cod sack."
 I hoped the coffee pot was full cause it was gonna be a long night.

No comments:

Post a Comment