Tuesday, June 30, 2009

JD AND THE MACON MOW DOWN

Interstate 75 South was built in segments over a number of years. For what seemed like forever, we had to drive to Tampa to get on it then get off at Macon, Georgia, where it ended. One summer JD Spohn took it on his way to a vacation in Kentucky. The evening after he left I received a call from him.

"Got in a little scrape," JD said, "some guys tried to rob me up here in Macon."

"Rob you?"

"Ya, at gun point. Three of 'em. We got lost looking for 41 after I-75 ended and pulled off the road to look at the map. Next thing I know, here's these A-holes pointin' a gun at me."

Now, if I was gonna rob someone I'd pick maybe, Dirty Harry, the 5th Marines, somebody easy like that. Not JD Spohn. There was a joke around the PD that there was a standing reward for anyone who could catch JD unarmed. Once, I thought I had him. Driving by his house in Lake Park, I saw JD mowing his lawn. He was wearing typical JD attire: a 10 gallon hat, no shirt, Bermuda shorts, and cowboy boots. I pulled into his driveway and approached him. "Looks like I got ya, JD," I said.

"How's that?" he asked.

"Caught you without a gun," I said.

"Don't count on it," JD said, producing a .38 from his boot and a Derringer from his back pocket. That was JD. And this is the same fella three fools in Macon, Georgia decided to rob. Another Seemed like a real good idea at the time.

"So what happened? You okay?"

"Oh yeah. I just reached down and got my .357 off the seat beside me and shot 'em. Here, the local cop wants to talk to you."

An officer, who identified himself as a Lt. from the Macon PD came on the line, confirmed JD's story and added, "We're gonna have to hold him here until we finish the investigation. Got three of 'em here with bullets in 'em. But, it shouldn't be too long. I'll call you back."

Then the phone went dead and I began to wait, fearing the worst. Georgia was the same state that locked up one of the CCSO Deputies in the same cell with the prisoner he was transporting until Sheriff Doug would wire them the $1oo bogus traffic fine. 

But, I didn't have to wait long. In less than two hours JD was on the phone again. "Every thing's okay," he said. "Here's the LT."

I breathed a sigh of relief. "Looks like your man did the right thing. All checks out. But it makes ya wonder when these Nigrahs are gonna learn you can't rob white folks and not pay the price."

And with that the incident was over. JD went on his way and had a grand vacation. He wasn't the kind to worry about a few perforated bodies. He did ask me not to talk about the incident as he was afraid the City might not understand. I didn't, until now. JD is long gone and part of NPD history.

No comments:

Post a Comment