Monday, July 27, 2009

JUDGE HUGH HAYES

Officer Gerard Rittersdorf came into my office at the Naples Police Department and dropped a bomb. "Just gave that new Judge a traffic ticket," he said. The new judge was a young Hugh Hayes. Although giving a judge a traffic citation was perfectly legal, it was considered bad form. At least. This was a person we were going to have to work with and, considering the egos of some judges, crapping in their flathat could have disastrous consequences.
 But Rittersdorf was famous for arresting those who usually received special consideration. He'd arrested a local priest for DWI. Twice. And, although only giving him a warning ticket, had lectured our boss, the City Manger, at a traffic stop. "You think you being the City Manager impresses me, think again."
 "I thought, after I'd given the Judge the ticket, maybe I should tell you about it," Rittersdorf said. Yep, so I could get a head start on looking for a new job.
 Just about then, my secretary Shirley, came in and said, "Judge Hayes is out here and wants to see you."
 "Well," I told Rittersdorf, "I guess we're gonna find out real quick what kinda man we have for the new Judge." I told Rittersdorf to go back to his duties and I'd take care of it. Reluctantly.
 Judge Hayes came into my office. I'd met him before, but we weren't friends or close associates. He came right to the point. "One of your officers just gave me a traffic ticket and I want to know where I pay it."
 "Well, uhhhhh. . ." I muttered, trying to read his attitude.
 "No, I was speeding," he said, "and I deserved a ticket. Your officer did exactly the right thing. I'm going to be presiding over a court that will hear cases just like like this. And if I can't be fair in my own case, how could I be expected to be fair in anyone else's." And pay up he did.
 That day I formed an opinion of Judge Hugh Hayes. This time they got it right. A good, decent, intelligent, and equitable man. Just what a judgeship requires.
 We found out later he could sure come in handy in other situations. Once, while presiding over a case with a rowdy defendant, the defendant went nuts and attacked the bailiff. The defendant was strong and mean and violent and the bailiff was having a time with him. Thankfully, help was on the way. The bailiff was dumbfounded to see his assistant was the Honorable Judge himself, piling on the rowdy and helping to subdue him.
 Yep, I found out about Judge Hugh Hayes years ago and have never had reason to change my opinion of him. The perfect man for the job.

1 comment:

  1. Judge Hayes is actually top notch. I have had him as a judge in numerous cases, and he is sharp, honest and fair!!!

    ReplyDelete