Friday, October 23, 2009

EMBARRASSING MOMENTS

In the sixties, police cars were equipped with a electro-mechanical siren. A big, heavy thing, mounted under the hood, it spun a turbine-looking device that created a fearsome howl. It was just a giant version of the ones kids put on bikes that rubbed on the tire.

Starting at a low growl, it gradually built up to an ear-splitting scream and, when cut off, took forever to slow down and shut up. Now sirens are electronic, controlled from a panel inside the car, and feature a number of sounds. They are electronically amplified through a speaker and when activated start and stop instantly.

The old models were controlled by a foot-button on the floorboard, near the dimmer button. (Remember them?) Too near, you had to be particular that you stepped on the right one. And, of course, some times you hit the wrong one. Invariably, this would happen when you were in traffic with a built-in audience of folks keeping an eye on the cop car. Thinking you were dimming the lights, you'd stomped on the button and the siren took off. And wouldn't shut up.

So what's to do? I always pretended I'd just gotten a hot call, stomped the siren up to full speed, and beat it on down the road 'til I was out of sight and hearing range.

1 comment:

  1. I had one in my first CID hand-me-down we called the "War Wagon". The damn thing sucked so much juice it would dim my headlights and smoke the battery if I let it wind up to long. It was still a pisser to use.....DJ194

    ReplyDelete