Thursday, December 31, 2009

PRINCE AND THE PUGNACIOUS PUKES

For years a fella named Ralph Cox ran a private security patrol in Port Royal. Ralph was an ex-Naples cop and was diligent in his work, coming out every evening and patrolling all night in a little Morris Minor. His partner was a huge German Shepherd named Prince. (Ralph's son has been an NPD cop for years.)

After Naples slipped into a comatose state at about 3 AM, Ralph, and the cops on the night shift, would gather at 4 Corners, or the old Royal Castle for coffee, and for those truly adventurous souls, a hamburger and a bowl of grease (chili).

Prince was always good for a laugh. Ralph would position him so he could see his reflection in a storefront window and tell Prince to attack. The dogs would go nuts, snarling, barking, slamming into the window with his huge paws and body until Ralph told him to stop.

He was also fearless, one night attacking a 6' gator that was trying to cross 5th Ave So. In short order, the gator demonstrated how he could use his tail like a ball bat and knocked Prince into center field.

I always loved ol' Prince, especially after he saved my arse. Jack Bliss and I answered a call that there was a riot starting at the Royal Castle. When we arrived we found a group of whites and blacks making ugly faces at each other, just on the verge of exploding into a rumble. The cause was racial stupidity.

Back then, the Royal Castle had a back window that blacks used to place their orders. They didn't go inside, although they had every right to under the law. But rather than start trouble. they used the back window. To some drunken rednecks, that night, that wasn't far enough away. They wanted them off the property. The blacks declined. One redneck said he'd get his gun. One black said that was okay, he had a "shooter" in his car, too. That's about when Jack and I arrived.

Anyone with a lick of sense knows not to break up a fight. Most times, they'll both turn on you. But when you're paid to stop them. . ..

Jack and I were immediately surrounded by the nasty bunch. Jack said, "Get back to back and keep your gun handy. I'm not takin' any ass whoopin' for this money." I did as he said and was getting ready to start singin' Please Send My Saddle Home when I beheld a wonderful sight. Ralph hurrying into the parking lot, being pulled by a raging Prince. Seems they were stopping by for a snack and saw what was happening.

There are two things that will get an a-hole's attention: The racking of a shotgun, and the snarling of a police dog. One bark from Prince and the crowd evaporated. Vamoosed! GONE!

After that, I used to carry dog biscuits in my car in case I happened to run into my hero. I'd buy Ralph a hamburger every once in a while, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment