Friday, March 12, 2010

AUBREY ROGERS

  The first time I met Aubrey, and Chuck Whidden, I was a civilian--having too much fun. Living at the time in one of the first Brookside Village homes, and working at the Tracking Station on Marco Island, we were throwing a house warming party. Or TGIF party. Or whatever excuse we could come up with party. It got pretty wild and I was not too surprised the next morning when Dep Rogers and Dep Whidden tapped on my door. The visit was not for what I had expected.
  After confirming who I was and that there'd been a party there last night Aubrey asked, "Did anyone give you anything?"
  Had to think on that a moment, then said, "Some folks contributed a few bottles of booze."
  "Was any of it champaign?"
  "Yep, it was," I said and it's still under the sink there. I won't touch the stuff, have a taste for Jim Beam."
  "Mind if I look at it?" Aubrey said.
  I told him sure, opened the cabinet and started to pick it up. He stopped me. "Let me," he said, "taking out his handkerchief and lifting the bottle from the very top. Just like Jack Webb did on TV. Caused me to wonder.
  "We'll need to take this with us," Aubrey said.
  And I said, "Whatever suits you tickles me to death." And that was the first time I met him.
  Seems two of my guests, who I barely knew, had stolen the champaign from some rich guys house, a stupid thing to do in Mr Roger's territory.
  Today, I'm thinking of the last time I saw Aubrey. We were at some department function, and Aubrey was already long retired. We, as old guys do, were talking about the old days.
  "You know when I was driving in today," Aubrey said, "looking around at what a beautiful town we have, I remember all the things that went into the making of it by a lotta folks. And I like to think I was one of them. And that we did a pretty good job."
  Correct on both counts old friend. A fitting epitaph and rich legacy you've left behind.
  Aubrey Rogers. A true original. The likes of which will seldom pass this way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment