Wednesday, May 26, 2010

MORE'N ONE WAY TO SQUASH A ROACH

     Years ago, when I worked a short time for the Sheriff in Bashful Beaver, where we now vacation in Tennessee, I had to learn some unique concepts. These extra-legal tactics did make the job easier but I kept thinking of the day when I’d no longer be a cop and at the mercy of systems like this.
  One of the things overlooked, I found out, was extradition. The Sheriff called me into his office one day and said he was sending me out of state to pickup some prisoners.
  “Three of ‘em, take lottsa chain. And a cattle prod.” he said.
  “What’d they do?”
  “Just got outta Brushy Mount, so naturally they got plastered, stole a car, and wrecked it.” 
  “Whereabouts?”
  “Down there in Georgia,” he said, “little town ‘bout fifteen miles south of the Tennessee line. Chatsworth.” 
  I knew the place. “Who has the extradition papers? They already down there.”
  “Extradition papers? “ the Sheriff laughed. “Hell you don’t need no extradition papers. It’s just in Georgia.”
  “But. . .”
  “We have an understanding,” he said. “No problem.”
  Dubious, but having seen several other expediencies that were “no problem”, I gassed up my cruiser and headed south. In less than an hour I was parked in front of Chatsworth’s small but beautiful stone courthouse. Inside, I told the friendly receptionist my business, she made a call, and soon I was met by a Chatsworth PD officer. We’ll call him Marty Multitasker.
  “These aholes have about as much brains as a dingleberry,” he laughed. “Driver passed out and forgot to take his foot offa the accelerator.  Scruffed ‘em up pretty good. They ain’t gonna be not problem.”
  “I might have one,” I said. “Don’t have any extradition papers.”
  “No problem,” he said. “Besides who they gonna complain to. Guess they could call the Mayor. But that’s me. Or the Municipal Judge. But that’s me, too.
  And he was! Corporal on the PD, Mayor, and Municipal Judge.
  Now you see why we say The South’s gonna rise again. Don’t take near as many folks to run the government. And there’s not all that worry over laws and stuff, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment