Tuesday, July 6, 2010

CARL STRICKLAND VERIFICATION

  Ms Lila Zuck, President  of the Collier County Historical Research Center, had two pieces of information verifying that Carl Strickland was an NPD cop and that he was murdered. Lila,  herself, is a writer having authored the popular Naples Oldest Tradition,  Swamp Buggy Racing
 The first verification, a clipping from the Miami Daily News, is at right. 
 Second, is the book We Also Came a black history of Collier County by Maria Stone. On page 115 is this quote by John Salter, long-time Naples resident:
 "I was the second black policeman here. That was in 1957. The first one, which was before me, was Paul Strickland. He got killed.
  We didn't wear uniforms on the police force but we did have a badge, a pistol, and a blackjack. We were policemen assigned to the area where we lived. At that time I lived in McDonald's Quarters.  Our authority was in that little neighborhood right there.
 I quit after a year. The City paid me, but I already had a regular job working for Benny Morris."
 Don't know where the "Paul" came from but it is obviously Officer Strickland.
  Further perusal of the book by my wife, Sandy, revealed that on page 33, in an interview with Eddie Sanders, who came here in 1929, he said:
 "I can tell you that the first black policemen in Naples were Carl Strickland and Johnny Salters."
 That should pretty much put this issue to bed. Let's give this Officer the recognition he deserves.
And thank you, Lila

No comments:

Post a Comment