Friday, July 30, 2010

MORE DUNKIN'

   To sell products, more than Timex watches got dunked in the Swamp Buggy track's Sippy Hole. A soap or skin lotion commercial--I forget which--took turns driving two lovely girls through the goop. Again, they did it all day long.
The girls would get all made up, hair coiffed, and dressed in clean shirts and jeans, then mount a woods buggy and be driven through ol' Sippy, coming out soggy and muddy as a ground hog. Then, they'd spruce them up again, and film how wonderful their skin looked after using the soap or whatever they were selling. And they did look wonderful. Never seen such beautiful skin on a human. I told one of the girls so.
She said, "I hope so, that's why they hire me. I'm a skin model."
I must have looked confused.
"I was blessed with skin that has no blemishes," she said. "No freckles, birthmarks, nothing. Thank god, it's very rare and allows a few of us to make a nice living showing how all women can look if they use the product we're advertising at the time. Course it's a lie, but it pays well."
She went on. "There are other models with perfect parts, too. Hand models, hair, eyes, teeth, you name it."
So I learned another trick of the advertising trade that day and answered a persistent question that had bothered me. Why there weren't any really decent toilet paper commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment