Friday, June 25, 2010

LONG ROPE COLLECTION AGENCY PART 2

  The next time Frank's employees started to uncoil rope and fashion a noose, he decided it was time to hire a bookkeeper. We'll call her Gwendolyn. 
  He was well beyond the time his booming business should've had one anyway. So far behind that, after giving Gwen a few weeks to organize his financial mess, he asked her if he had enough money to buy a new car. And was shocked at her answer.
  Gwen looked at him incredulously.   "You're kidding," she replied.
  "Well, I can wait. . "
  "Frank," she said, "you really don't know do you?"
  "Know what?"
 "With all the lots you've been buying with your real estate pal, and your business proceeds, you're a millionaire. Easily." (Over the years, he was to lose this million, then make it back)
  Frank happily bumbled on for a few more years. Then, he gave me a call. "I think I have a problem with Gwendolyn. I think she may be stealing from me."
 I wondered how he would ever have known, given his aversion to things mathematical.
 "Had an IRS audit, had to call in a tax attorney. He told me I may have an internal problem. He showed my books to another accountant and it looks like Gwen has skimmed off 100K or more."
  I talked to the tax lawyer, he showed me what he had and I went to Frank's office. When confronted, Gwen easily fessed up. She said, over the years, she'd been short because of personal financial emergencies and taken a little here, a little there. She didn't realize it'd been so much.
  I told Gwen and Frank that the amount constituted a felony, maybe prison time. Frank said he wanted to think it over before he decided what to do. The next day he called me up.
 "I've been thinking about Gwen," he said, "and I remembered I loaned her that money. She didn't steal it."
  "Come on, Frank," I said.
  "Yep, actually I gave it to her as a bonus," Frank said, "yeah, a bonus. She's been so good over the years, keeping me outta trouble and all. Hell, she's saved me more than 100K."
  "You sure," I said.
  "Yep, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it."
  And he did. I guess Gwen worked there until she retired.
  Frank was very generous in other areas, too. For years he anonymously was one of the main financial supporters of PAL.  We couldn't have survived without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment